Prevail Counselling Therapy was established to provide values based therapeutic talking therapy to individuals, so as to promote their emotional resilience. Prevail aspires to be grounded in sound therapeutic principles and the clients’ lived experience at all times.
This mission statement is expressed through how Prevail values the client, the work, and the counsellor.
- Each client is a uniquely created person, with inherent abilities to find a way to live in their difficult situations.
- Each client comes to counselling in need of a safe space to tell their story. The manner and degree to which they share their story is in their hands and is not dictated by the counsellor.
- Each client brings with them their own history and relationships. In Prevail, working with and respecting this is recognised as part of the counselling work.
- Each client needs support in all areas of their life, how they think, what they feel and what they believe. Prevail believes such a holistic approach is key to counselling work.
- I am bound by the code of practice for my accrediting organisations, The Irish Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and the National Association of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists. https://iacp.ie/iacp-code-of-ethics https://www.napcp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Code-of-Ethics-02-2021.pdf
- In my work, the client’s needs come first. This involves fairness around issues of fees, bookings etc. Also if the client requires help that is outside my sphere of competence I will refer them on.
- The work of Prevail is primarily to promote resilience in the attending clients. Resilience to live their life as best as possible regardless of the problems they face.
- The therapeutic approach of Prevail is primarily person-centred as originated by Carl Rogers. I am also very influenced by Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as presented by Aaron Beck. For clients with specific issues they want to work through Sahzer and Berg’s Solution Focused Brief Therapy is very useful.
- As the counselling therapist at Prevail, I am obliged to engage in ongoing training so as to keep myself professionally sharp, and to maintain my accreditation.
- Also, I have to support myself through regular supervision and through personal care.
- Just as the client is deserving of my respect, so am I deserving of respect and personal space.