Counselling: What it is and why to consider it
What is counselling Therapy?
Counselling is a professional therapeutic relationship. It is a private, safe space for people to seek help from a professional trained in psychological care. A counselling therapist helps you find your best way to resolve the negative circumstances you are in. A counsellor helps you to improve your self awareness so you can resolve your own issues.
For many, becoming that more complete you is not just a matter of managing your thoughts, feelings and behaviours. Ultimately counselling helps you to know what you can hope for, build towards, and believe in for your future.
At Prevail I endeavour to walk that road with you.
When is Counselling for Me?
Many people struggle with the decision, “Do I need counselling? …. What will counselling do for me?”…..
Each person weighs up their need with the practical reality of how they believe counselling may effect them. Below are some considerations supporting the choice to have counselling:
- We all benefit from having someone simply just listen to us. There are times when we need to offload the stress of everyday life to someone who can simply keep it to themselves.
- What do you do during a time in your life when something has gone wrong. You feel unable to deal with the sudden change in circumstances.
- There are times you may want a professional counsellor to sit with you to help you to regain perspective. This is especially so when you have experienced a traumatic event.
- You may be worn down by fatigue and low mood due to ongoing demands of your life. Meeting with a counsellor on a regular basis could help you eventually return to your usual ability to cope.
- We all need counselling support at some time. To delay seeking support can make matters worse.
- To put it simply if you think you need counselling therapy, you probably do.